Eight and a half months update on quitting smoking cold turkey

It was eight and a half months ago that I tried to quit smoking cold turkey. So was it a success?

YES

Easy peasy. I really have found it extremely easy to quit smoking the cold turkey method, which is simply to stop without cutting down. I was on 20+ cigarettes per day for 15 years and less for around 10 years before that.

How did I quit smoking so easily?

Cold turkey with candies, lots of candies.


I am now a little fatter, maybe 1 stone (I am guessing that is 10+Kg). So I have been trying to switch from hard candies to more fruit, nuts and sugar free candies.

Due to travel in Asia, this has not been too easy, hence my weight gain. However I am now going to make a concerted effort to cut down on the candy and replace them with sugar free options less often.

Do I still get cravings?


Not at all. I don't let the thought of smoking enter my mind. Even as I type this I am able to not let a full cigarettes image enter my mind. When in a smoky area like a bar I switch to breathing through my mouth. If there is an ash tray on our table I remove it before sitting down. Like I said easy peasy.

Would I recommend this method?


100% yes. I will begin to loose weight soon, I am confident of that. I just saw a photo of me on a beach and it was in a very unflattering angle. I met someone I hadn't seen in 2 years and she said "Wow you got so fat" lol. 

The weight gain isn't too bad. Like I said you can get some sugar free candy, switch to fruit which is healthier sugar and now I am eating more nuts and sugar free gum which lasts longer.

It is better to be a bit fatter for 1 year than to die 12 years too early in a painful, long death. I am certain I will not smoke again because I don't want to. I am now one of those people who looks down on smokers and thinks "dumb idiots".

I bought 12 years extra life just by swapping smoking for hard candies like Worthers Original and coffee candy. Now I am getting bored of these sweets I shall snack less and less, and gradually get back to my normal weight.

If you are considering stopping just go for it. Don't let the thought of smoking get in your head, drink cranberry juice for the first 3 days and suck on a hard candy when you get the urge to light up. 

I do not miss smoking at all. It is poisonous and therefore it doesn't make sense to smoke. Once you have quit for a while you will just have disdain for smoking. I spent my saving on a drone instead which has been a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment